I spent the whole time editing this podcast on a yoga ball. So Gabe, I get you.
- VGCC Episode 353: Gabe Newell's Yoga Balls - Read More → . . . . .
- Choochamania 2021 - Read More → . . . . .
- VGCC Episode 352: It Was Sonic And Friends That Did It - Read More → . . . . .
- The Monster Hunter Movie Is Not Just Bad — It's Boring - Read More → . . . . .
- Unlimited Train Works Episode 60: Cracks in the Egg - Read More → . . . . .
- VGCC Episode 351: R.I.P. to a Real One - Read More → . . . . .
- Rose and Spencer's FFXIV Podcast Episode 4B: Endwalker - Read More → . . . . .
- Rose and Spencer's FFXIV Podcast Episode 4A: Patch 5.4 - Read More → . . . . .
- VGCC Episode 350: New Challengers Approach! - Read More → . . . . .
- Choochagatari Unlimited Train Works Episode 59: Snow White with the Red Hair - Read More → . . . . .
Vivendi has moved even closer to finally owning Gameloft. After months of slowly collecting stock, Vivendi triggered an automatic takeover bid where they would offer current stockholders a buyout bid. For awhile, the Guillmot family, who founded and own Gameloft and Ubisoft, denounced Vivendi’s attempts and vowed to deny them their takeover. That didn’t work.
Vivendi was able to come to an agreement with fellow Gameloft stockholder Amber Capital, who will sell some or all of their 14.6%. This will make Vivendi the majority stakeholder in Gameloft, despite the Guillmot’s objections.
You may also recall that Vivendi is actively buying up Ubisoft stock, but at this time is still hovering around 17%, short of the 30% required by French law to trigger any takeover bid. The Guillmot’s have been even more vocal and active securing their control of Ubisoft in case Vivendi attempts another hostile takeover.
Vivendi is no stranger to video games. In addition to once having their own games publishing arm, they also owned Activision less than a decade ago. No telling what direction Vivendi will take Gameloft, but the Vivendi era of Activision isn’t looked back upon fondly.
Managing Editor around here, moderator over at Giant Bomb, writer at prowrestling.cool
The promise has been made.
What would an Italian Plumber do, if Shadow pulled a gun on you?
Oh well. We all have Monster Hunter Rise to distract ourselves now.
Not so wonderful any more, eh?