The Dark Souls of Podcasts
- VGCC Episode 346: Everything's Better with Wesker - Read More → . . . . .
- Choochagatari Unlimited Train Works Episode 57: Ping Pong the Animation - Read More → . . . . .
- For Women in Games, You Can Be a Mother or a Daughter - Read More → . . . . .
- The February 2021 Steam Game Festival: Play What's Next (But Not Possibly All 500+ of Them) - Read More → . . . . .
- (For) The Wins of 2020: A Conversation - Read More → . . . . .
- VGCC Episode 345: Nice Times Five - Read More → . . . . .
- VGCC Episode 344: To the Moon! - Read More → . . . . .
- Choochagatari Unlimited Train Works Episode 56: Animal Facts with Rose - Read More → . . . . .
- Tristan's Goodbye Post - Read More → . . . . .
- Niall's Farewell Post - Read More → . . . . .
I can’t say this is much of a surprise but it doesn’t hurt any less. Voice actor Otsuka Aiko, who voices both Snake and Big Boss, stated that “[Kojima Productions] has been disbanded. It appears that the work that the team has been putting their utmost effort into is nearly complete.”. He goes on to compliment the upcoming Metal Gear Solid V and touted the game as the team’s “greatest masterpiece”.
None of this is too shocking if, like us, you’ve been following the Konami/Kojima soap opera. Kojima and other senior staff were heavily restricted to company email and were signed to contracts instead of being labeled full time employees earlier this year. Then Konami began to silently erase the Kojima name on everything currently Metal Gear related including websites and game titles. Eventually the cancellation of Silents Hills, and removal of its teaser PT, all but confirmed that Konami and Kojima’s future were at a clear end. Now it seems anyone and anything Kojima was working with is just being excised from Konami.
This does make some sense if Konami wants to refocus their development only on mobile and pachinko games. You don’t need a full development studio to make iOS and Android apps. But to watch it all wither away instead of being appropriated to another publisher or developer is a pretty big shame. Hopefully Konami can come to their senses and at least do the video game world a favor and let go of some of those long standing, beloved, IPs.
Managing Editor around here, moderator over at Giant Bomb, writer at prowrestling.cool
Truly we're all just living on this ping pong ball called Earth...
Granted most men have to be epic dads these days, but we talk about men too much.
Steam Fest Done Quick (SFDQ)
In spite of a difficult year, 2020 wasn't all that bad!