Step aside, Tom Cruise. This is the real deal.
Blue Revolver is a great shmup! Blue Revolver is also a year old!
To celebrate the anniversary of its release, developers Stellar Circle are releasing a substantial “Black Label” update in January 2018.
Outlined on the game’s official site, the free update will include several new features and adjustments:
- Standard play is now “Arcade Mode”, featuring rebalanced weapons, reworked BREAKs, gameplay tweaks, an overhauled last stage and greater scoring potential for masters to chase.
- Missions mode is entirely reworked – new structure, more unique missions, score tracking. Missions are tuned to be generally easier / more permissive, with bigger requirements to get the top rewards.
- Experimental Weapon mode becomes “Arrange Mode” – powerful weapons with recharging ammo and an all-new scoring system. Intended for experts, but enjoyable at all skill levels.
- An all-new extra mode puts Dee in the pilot seat, featuring short quick-fire “bursts” of gameplay and a new powerup system. How long can you last?
- New arranged soundtrack by Exemia and Hagane.
- New, expanded tutorials better introduce the fundamentals.
- Tons of new unlockables – including “Data Files” that reveal more about the world and characters, graphical filters and more.
- “Gadgets” put extra game information on-screen for widescreen resolutions, with better stat tracking for things like personal best stage scores and breaks acquired.
- More localizations (exact list TBC) and support for user-created localizations.
- Plenty of extra quality-of-life stuff.
All in all these adjustments sound pretty good! John and I played Blue Revolver last year, and while it may not have ended up earning any big GOTY awards, I think we both really loved it. I’m especially excited for the new Missions mode, because when I last played I remembered being disappointed at how similar and simplistic a lot of them were.
Blue Revolver: Black Label will be launching in January 2018 on Steam, Humble, and itch.io, with the original release of the game becoming available for all the purists under the title Blue Revolver: White Label.